Monday, March 21, 2016

Go West, Young Man

I have always enjoyed adventure.

I love the thrill of new locations, sweeping vistas found only by going off the beaten path, the inspiration of new people and their stories.

There is something in me that has always known I would get to live an adventure. I never really knew what form this adventure would take, but I hoped in the deepest places of my soul that I would get to travel the world and live in some exotic locale.

To a degree, my music career has afforded me the opportunities to see the world and experience new cultures. In my journeys to Belize, Guatemala, Jamaica, Germany, France, and Czech Republic; music has played some part in my experience.

There is something inherently beautiful about the way that music transcends culture, language, religion, and age. It has always been a part of my ministry, and will remain so as long as I have the use of my two hands.

Over the past few years, I have felt a pull at my heart to go west. This made no sense in any of the contexts I was in, but it was a deep-seeded feeling of adventure and longing to seek what is new.

In the moment I had no clue whether this desire was of God, or my own childhood longings come to fruition.

Could I go wrong either way, though?
After all, if God's will for my life is more of a state of mind or being than an actual series of decisions, technically I could go or stay and still be fulfilled in what I do.

At this point I realize that if I don't use my music to reach people, THEN I am missing the whole point of my life.

So I am excited. In a mere 5 months I will be living in Anthem, Arizona; where I will be using my gifts and abilities to invest in the next generation of musicians. I'll get to take my whole philosophy of faith and art and bring them to a new community.

I'll be living an adventure with people I care about, doing something I love, in one of the most beautiful and vast places I know.

Is there fear? Yes, but also excitement

Any decision worth making is going to wreck us a just little bit on the inside.

If the path was not difficult, it wouldn't be an adventure.





No comments:

Post a Comment