Sunday, September 22, 2013

Confession: Worship

I have a confession.

I don't want to worship.

I am tired physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

Yet, it is in this moment of defiance that I suddenly realize something crucial about myself and God.

I am to worship God whether I feel like it or not.

Worship in the 21st Century has become heavily associated with emotionalism, and at times we even equate an emotional response to a musical moment to the Holy Spirit working in our hearts.

Just as God HIMSELF is unchanging, His worthiness of worship remains unchanging.

"Through Him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge His name." - Hebrews 13:15

Nowhere in scripture is it ever implied that our worship is to be dictated by our own condition. Worship is instead spiritual prostration. It is saying "You are God. I am not."
Worship is playing a song of praise even when the pain in your hands nearly cripples you. Worship is glorifying God even when I feel abandoned. Worship is denying myself.

Worship is evidenced by selflessness.

Worship is the attitude of Jesus. Worship is the realization that no matter what I am going through, GOD is still GOD. Worship acknowledges this.

When I think about it, I receive comfort when I am truly worshiping in a constantly changing life situation, because the object of my worship remains unchanged.

He is steadfast when my soul faints. He retains control even when my mind loses control. When my struggles overwhelm me, His victory over them on the Cross still stands. When my heart doubts, his constant love keeps a thread of hope alive in my soul.

When I feel I can offer nothing, and instead simply acknowledge the inadequacy of my desires and efforts; when I cease striving, THAT is when I am truly worshiping.

Do I want to worship all the time? No.
But that is ok.

It is what I choose to do next that is important. Do I cave in to my desires? Or acknowledge LIFE.
"To worship is to touch LIFE." - (Richard Foster)

It's in those moments of sacrificial worship that HE is glorified all the more.

A sacrifice of praise is a body presented as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is our spiritual act of worship.

- Bowman
9/21/13


No comments:

Post a Comment